Volčji Grad is a small village on the southern slope of the Komen Karst, and it is 1.5 kilometres away from Komen. Life in the village dates back to prehistoric times, when the original settlers lived in one of the biggest prehistoric hill forts in the area, Debela Griža. The Roman road ran through this region. The first mention of Volcigrat dates back to the year 1257, whereas in the Code of the Trieste Cathedral Archive from the year 1337 it is found under the name Volcigrad. According to a local legend, the aristocratic daughter, Marija Volcija was given medical treatment in the village and finally returned to good health. When she died, she was supposedly buried next to the village church. It is said that the settlement was named after her. In the past, four quarries were in operation. The first people to start this activity were the Štolfa family, who moved from Komen in the middle of the 19th century. They are descendants of the Astolfi family from Ivanji Grad. It is possible that strong quarrying activity was present in Volčji Grad as early as the 18th century. The work of the Volčji Grad stonecutters is reflected in numerous beautifully engraved stone gateways, support consoles, shrines, staircases and other stone features.
Srečko Colja (politician, condemned at the 2nd Trieste trial/legal proceding) and Marjan Rožanc (writer, scriptwriter, winner of the Prešernova nagrada award) lived in Volčji Grad. Every year the Rožanc award is delivered for literary achievements.
Društvo Debela Griža
Name of the people who live in Volčji Grad: Volčjegrajci, number of inhabitants: 90 (year 2015). The village is situated 239 metres above sea-level.
Back to list