Church of St. John the Baptist, Volčji Grad
The Succursal Church of St. John the Baptist, which is situated in a separate hamlet from Volčji Grad, called “Brith”. In this place, a small Gothic church once stood. There is a plaque dedicated to its builder, the Trieste architect Johannes de Pari from 1429. The present church was built in Baroque style either in the 16th or 17th centuries. The western wall contains a built-in tombstone from the 2nd century A.D. erected by a mother and father for their daughter, who died on the 4th month in the year 15 according to the Roman calendar. The church interior is decorated with Baroque features from the 18th century. The main altar contains a painting of St. John in front of Mary and Jesus and was painted by F. Pavone. The altar on the right contains a painting by the Bishop J. Leonardis. The independent belltower by the church has an unusual Baroque spire.
GPS: 45.7998465, 13.7463795
Back to list